Any injury to the teeth or gums can be potentially serious and should not be ignored. Ignoring a dental problem can increase the risk of permanent damage as well as the need for more extensive and expensive treatment down the road.
Emergency Dental Problems & Solutions:
- Tooth impact and loss – Carefully rinse your tooth without removing any attached tissue. If possible, hold the tooth in place in the socket, or else place the tooth in milk and contact us immediately.
- Broken Tooth – Save all pieces of the broken tooth and rinse your mouth out with warm water. Apply a cold compress to the area to decrease swelling and pain until we can examine the damage and restore your tooth.
- Dental Abscess – If you find a pimple formation or swelling on your gums, rinse your mouth with salt water and immediately contact our dental office. Abscesses can lead to more serious infections if not treated promptly.
- Lost Dental Filling or Dental Crown – For dental fillings and crowns, a temporary repair can be made using dental cement or sealing the hole with a piece of sugarless gum until our dentists can perform a permanent replacement or installation.
- Toothache – Rinse your mouth out with warm water. Next, use dental floss to make sure there isn’t any food or other debris causing the pain. If the tooth pain persists, call our office.
- Bitten Lip or Tongue – Clean the area and apply an ice pack to reduce swelling. If the bleeding doesn’t stop, see your dentist right away or go to a hospital emergency room.
Having a Dental Emergency?
Amazing Smile Dental Care has both convenient hours and a great location to have you be seen the same day as your dental emergency. If you would like to set up a same-day appointment, please call us immediately at (540) 216-3445.